Pages

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Watermelon Cake with Tips and Tricks


This is the perfect summer cake!  Especially for those with summer birthday's and can you believe a kid picked his out on his own?!  Very impressive.

One of my bestest friends, sent me this link, and it seemed simple enough. 
Although...if I'm being honest...I didn't stick with the original instructions.

There wasn't an ingredient list, and even though I enjoyed their photo's, it didn't give me some of the information I wanted.

That said...I'm here to share their site, and add an ingredient list and my special tips to go along with it to help the constructing process go a little smoother.

So, here we go...

You'll Need:
1 SEEDLESS watermelon
1, 9" pie plate or serving platter
Various fruits (I used black grapes, since my store didn't have any good blueberries, green grapes, strawberries and kiwi)
1 tub of whipped topping (or you can make your own)
papertowels
1 box of your instant jello, your fav flavor (I used orange)

To begin, slice your watermelon - I sliced both ends to create a flat surface, then made a hexagon, but the original site, has an awesome tutorial on how to make yours round!

Once your watermelon is sliced, place it on your serving platter/pie plate.

Blot well with paper towels.

Open your jello box and sprinkle top and sides. (I had the HARDEST time getting the whipped cream to stick to the watermelon w/o using this tip.  This helped a ton!)

Refrigerate.

While it's refrigerating, start washing, peeling your fruit.

Remove watermelon and start icing it with whipped topping.

Refrigerate.

Continue fruit prep - Cutting.

Remove watermelon from refrigerator and start assembling your cake the way you want it.

The major key here is refrigeration!  So keep it cool as long as you can before serving.


Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment