Pages

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Fruit & Veggie Wash - Go Green



We've gone apple picking a lot this month.  On our last trip, we picked up roughly 15lbs of apples!  That's a lot of pies!! :)

As I'm sitting there staring at our fruit overload, I figured there had to be a better way to do bulk washing, so I went in search and came across this gals blog.  It was very useful and seemed to do the trick just fine.  I followed her instructions, but I did cut back on the vinegar because I have a farm house sink, so one side is much larger and deeper than the other.

Note to those of you whom also have farm sinks: I used the smallest side of my sink to wash the fruit, and used approximately 5 gallons of water to 1/2c of vinegar ratio.

Using her method really saved me a lot of time.  I hope it helps you out as well!


To start;

You'll Need:
Half Full Sink Water
1c. Vinegar
Hard Fruit or Veggie (not recommended for lettuces or soft fruits such as strawberries, raspberries)

To start; Fill your sink with water and with your hand mix in vinegar:


 Remove all the stems/leaves from your fruit:
Add your fruit to the vinegar bath:

Sit for 10 min's, rinse well, and lay them out to dry:
 

That's it.  Now you can enjoy your fruit with ease, and better yet, it's GREEN!

I love simplicity!

No comments:

Post a Comment