Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Healthy Living During Pregnancy

Hi everyone.  I'm Katie, and I'm so excited to be guest posting today on Crafty Momma!!


Today, I'm here to share with you about how to have a healthier outlook on living.  Specifically healthy living during pregnancy.

Before I got pregnant, I was in relatively good health. I was active, my diet was semi-healthy, my energy was high and I rarely got sick. However, at the beginning of my first trimester, I started feeling ill. I was tired all the time, I craved fatty, salty and sugary foods and I was constantly suffering from head and body aches. I told myself this was normal. Like many other women, I assumed that pregnancy was a time to indulge my every craving and just take it easy.

About ten weeks into my pregnancy, I never thought I'd make it the entire 40 weeks. I was so tired that I began missing work and other commitments, and my body ached all over. I knew something had to give. I decided to speak to my OB/GYN about my symptoms.

I found out that the reason I was feeling so unwell was probably the result of my poor diet and decreasing activity levels. My doctor ran some tests and told me both my blood pressure and glucose levels were higher than what they'd been just a few weeks prior. She strongly urged I get them under control and recommended a balanced, all-natural diet and moderate exercise.

At first, the thought of giving up my unhealthy snacks and 'round-the-clock rest made me nervous. I could barely make it out the door to work! How was I supposed to find the strength to exercise? But I knew I had to give it a shot.

First, I focused on diet. I combated unhealthy food cravings with fresh, natural meals and snacks, and I filled my plate with whole grains, colorful produce and lean protein. To my surprise, I started feeling more energetic within a couple days. I felt better physically and my mind was more focused and alert. After a couple weeks of healthy eating, I decided it was time to work out. I began walking two miles a day, three times a week.

Going into my second trimester of pregnancy, I'd never felt better. My blood pressure and glucose levels were back under control and I felt like a million bucks. I was sleeping better and I had natural, lasting energy throughout the day. And it was all thanks to foods like the following:

  • Whole grains. These foods provide lots of energy without raising blood glucose, which is extremely important during pregnancy for women at risk for gestational diabetes. 
  • Fresh produce. I ate fruits and vegetables of all types, and included at least two types of produce with each meal. This allowed me to receive all the vitamins and minerals I needed to support a healthy pregnancy, plus powerful antioxidants that fight off illness and disease. 
  • Lean protein. Grilled fish and chicken, plus beans and legumes are my favorites. These foods are packed with essential iron and other minerals that kept me strong and healthy during my pregnancy.
  • Water. A woman's body requires lots of fluids during pregnancy. To avoid dehydration, I drank at least ten glasses a day and avoided sugary, caffeinated sodas and teas. 

Before delivery, I consulted with my doctor about healthy choices to make about my baby and myself as soon as she was born. He educated me about options like
cord blood banking, immunizations, and the best ways to help myself recover. After I had my baby, I stuck to my diet. By that point, my taste buds had changed so much that I no longer wanted those unhealthy foods! Now I have the energy it takes to be a mom, and I know I'm setting a healthy example for my baby.

Katie Moore has written and submitted this article. Katie is an active blogger who discusses the topics of, motherhood, children, fitness, health and all other things Mommy. She enjoys writing, blogging, and meeting new people! To connect with Katie contact her via her blog, Moore From Katie or her twitter, @moorekm26.


No comments:

Post a Comment